Yes, you CAN have your cake and eat it! Sugar free, gluten free, grain free and packed full of nutrients!
This recipe is SO simple – I used blueberries and lemon but it would work equally well with raspberries and perhaps even some chopped dark chocolate for a real treat. There are only a few simple ingredients which are bursting full of flavour and goodness:
- Monounsaturated fat – helps to reduce the risk of heart disease
- High protein
- Vitamin E – protection against UV light and Alzheimer’s
- Manganese – strengthens bones and regulates blood sugar
- Magnesium – promotes muscle and nerve function and helps with blood glucose and blood pressure control
- Anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant
- Protects against cancer, heart diseases and age-related degenerative diseases
- Vitamin C to boost your immune system
- Source of omega 3 and high quality protein
- Full of vitamins as well as iron, phosphorous, selenium
- Help prevention/progression of cataracts and macular degeneration
- Contain good quantity of choline, a nutrient for the brain
- 120g ground almonds
- 4 eggs
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or rapeseed oil
- 2.5 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 150 g blueberries
- zest of one lemon
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 200c and grease and line a loaf tin.
- Add all ingredients except the blueberries to a mixing bowl and whisk for a couple of minutes, preferably with a food mixer but a hand whisk will be fine.
- Fold in the blueberries and pour into the loaf tin.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 mins, until golden brown.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack and serve hot or cold with a dollop of cream!