One of things I missed most about being low carb, sugar and gluten free was something to go with cheese, pate and dips. I thought the days of crackers had long disappeared but I discovered this very simple recipe for flaxseed crackers. They don’t feel like a substitute at all, they taste delicious. With only a couple of ingredients, they are very quick to make and you can try them with different herbs or spices to suit your personal taste.
I had mine with a selection of cheeses – Cornish Garlic Yarg, Cornish Blue, Somerset Brie but they are also great with pate or cream cheese.
They are suitable for vegan, gluten free, dairy free, nut free, low carb and sugar free diets.
The main ingredient is ground flaxseed (linseed) which has many health benefits. It is low in carbohydrates, is a healthy fat and high in fibre (soluble and insoluble). It is high in B vitamins, magnesium and manganese and is a good source of omega 3 fatty acids, along with phytochemicals and antioxidants.
- 200 mg ground flaxseed (linseed)
- 50 mg of seed mix of your choice, I chose an omega seed mix adding some pumpkin seeds and goji berries
- 200 – 250 ml water (start with 200 ml and add more if needed)
- 1/2 tsp rock salt
- 1 tsp of herbs/spice of your choice (I used italian herbs)
- Preheat your oven to 180-200 degrees
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well until a dough forms (you can do this by hand or machine). Add more water if needed.
- Place the dough on a silicone sheet or parchment and roll into a thin even layer on a baking tray
- Bake in the oven for around 30 minutes until brown and crispy
- Leave to cool, then cut into squares and eat!!