Fat Bombs – never heard of them?
If you follow a ketogenic diet then you definitely will have come across them. Basically they are a concentrated form of healthy fats that fill you up and help sustain you on a low-carb diet. A healthy dose of fat allows our bodies to absorb vitamins and nutrients from other foods. Usually made from a combination of ingredients such as butter, coconut oil, nuts and seeds, fat bombs were initially designed for those following the ketogenic diet although popularity is rising, especially amongst body builders and other low-carb dieters. Fat bombs are low carb, sugar free, gluten free, wheat free and nut free and yet provide you with a bundle of energy.
They are a great way of getting into ketosis quickly and a great snack pre or post exercise. You will find an abundance of recipes online – this morning I made a batch of raspberry fat bombs to keep handy in the freezer as I wanted to use up some of the berries that I have growing in the garden this summer.
They are very simple and quick to make. You can change the ingredients and use different berries, maybe add some lemon juice, you could add a teaspoon of Stevia if you would prefer something slightly sweeter, or maybe substitute the berries for coffee and cacao nibs for a richer flavour, the choices are endless!
Ingredients (serves 6):
- 60 ml melted coconut oil
- 50 g fresh or frozen raspberries
- 4 tablespoons of softened unsalted grass-fed butter
- 30 ml double cream
- 4 oz full fat cream cheese
- melt the coconut oil (and berries if frozen) and stir in the softened butter
- add the cream cheese and double cream
- whisk until all ingredients are combined
- pour into 6 individual dessert glasses (silicone muffin cases are good for this too)
- put in the freezer or just leave in the fridge until cool and set